Spiced Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Spiced Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Interested in a variation on standard roast pumpkin seeds, I concocted a dry spice mixture beforehand and then tossed the seeds in them. One could experiment with any number of spices for equally tasty results. (Rosemary comes to mind.) And you can easily double or triple this recipe.

SPICED ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS

1.5 – 2 cups pumpkin seeds
1/2 tsp ground paprika
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 – 1 tsp brown or turbinado sugar (adjust to taste)
1/4 tsp ground chipotle
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small bowl, combine all of the dry spices to form a dry rub.

In a larger mixing bowl, add the pumpkin seeds and the olive oil and stir to blend. To that, add the spice mix in increments and taste as you go – you may not need to use all of it.

Spread the seeds on a lightly oiled baking sheet.

Roast them for 20-30 minutes, checking every ten minutes or so to make sure that they don’t burn.

They are finished when nicely browned and crisp to the bite.

Tricia - October 27, 2010 - 6:18 pm

Dang, girl! Your new site is beautiful, nice job!

Peggy - October 28, 2010 - 5:18 am

I’ll be carving out our pumpkin tonight and saving the seeds for this recipe! It sounds like a killer spice combination and I can’t hardly wait!

kimberley - October 28, 2010 - 12:58 pm

Tricia: thanks so much!

Peggy: I realized that I left out one part of the recipe, which is that you make the spice mix separately first. So sorry for the error! It’s now included, and hopefully all turns out well! Enjoy.

heather @ chiknpastry - November 4, 2010 - 11:27 am

love your blog – so clean and pretty! Will definitely have to visit again now that I’ve found it :).

tell me – why is it that my pumpkin seeds are always chewy and gross? I hate throwing them out when i use fresh squash, but when i roast them they never taste crisp. what’s my issue?!

kimberley - November 4, 2010 - 3:00 pm

Hi Heather – Great question! I’m going to speculate that perhaps the seeds are chewy because they haven’t been roasted for long enough and there’s still some moisture in them. I’d try roasting them for 1/2 hour and checking at that time, and if they’re not done, continue roasting and testing one seed every 5 or 10 minutes. You could also try roasting them at a higher temp, but they may wind up a little charred. Good luck!

eviweetle - November 10, 2010 - 9:38 pm

Great information! I’ve been looking for something like this for a while now. Thanks!

Pumpkin Scones « kiltedwoman - October 11, 2011 - 8:01 pm

[...] oven to 400 degrees. Slice squash or pumpkin in half and remove seeds. (Reserve the seeds for roasting.) Place squash on a lightly greased baking pan and roast for about 45 minutes to one hour, until [...]