Spiced Sweet Potato Latkes with Yogurt

Spiced Sweet Potato Latkes with Yogurt

I first learned how to make potato pancakes in the kitchen of my German aunt. While these are by no means her traditional kartoffelpuffer, I am reminded of her kitchen every time I make them. Their smaller size makes for a perfect appetizer or snack at a party. And serving them with a tangy yogurt instead of cream makes them a little bit healthier.

SPICED SWEET POTATO LATKES WITH YOGURT

3 cups grated sweet potatoes
1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 medium onion)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon mild paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle
2/3 cups Greek yogurt
oil for cooking

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

Mix together the sweet potatoes, spices and flour in a large bowl with a fork. Blend in the eggs and mix thoroughly.

Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a skillet over medium heat. When skillet is hot and oil begins to shimmer, begin cooking latkes.

Measure a generous tablespoon of the sweet potato mixture and spoon into skillet. Place four pancakes in skillet per round, flattening each with a fork.

Brown latkes for about four minutes per side, until golden brown, and place on a paper towel to drain.

Keep cooked latkes in warmed oven until ready.

Serve warm, adding a dollop of yogurt to each.

Kitchen Butterfly - November 22, 2010 - 12:58 pm

Kimberely, I LOVE your photos – the textured fabric backgrounds are wow!!!!!!!!! And the pancakes look gorgeous too!

Amir - The Duo Dishes - November 22, 2010 - 1:30 pm

These looks splendid! I’m a pancake fiend and always looking for new varieties to try. Will definitely make these soon! :)

kimberley - November 22, 2010 - 2:37 pm

Kitchen Butterfly: Thank you!

Amir: Although I made these for a party, I think they would work well for brunch! Hope you enjoy.

Elizabeth - November 23, 2010 - 5:27 am

Yum!!!! Sweet potatoes can seem so blah, but this entirely renews my interest. Can’t wait to make these.

Anonymous - November 23, 2010 - 8:53 am

Awesome potatoe pancakes done with sweet potatoes, thanks for a great recipe.

Rita - November 25, 2010 - 12:12 pm

Delicious recipe, as usual, Kimberley! Easy and tasty!

kimberley - November 28, 2010 - 11:41 pm

Elizabeth: Totally agree! A friend was scarfing these down and completely surprised that they had sweet potatoes in them. Hope you enjoy.

Rita: Thank you!

Debbie - December 14, 2010 - 8:10 pm

My kids were away at college and missed our Hannukah dinner. I plan to surprise them when the get home for winter break with their favorite southwestern brisket and these sweet potato latkes. I think they will be the perfect accompaniment. Yum!!

kimberley - December 16, 2010 - 10:08 am

Hi Debbie – That just makes my day. Hope you have a lovely dinner together!

Jennifer - November 17, 2011 - 11:43 pm

Mmm…those look so good!I love sweet potatoes and latkes,so I’m surprised I didn’t think of these before..but glad I stumbled upon your recipe!

benay - December 21, 2011 - 10:18 am

These were wonderful. I made them for a Hanukkah party and they were a huge hit… a great alternative to the traditional recipe and a nice treat for your foodie guests. I am adding this to my go-to holiday recipes. Thank you!

Ms. T - December 22, 2011 - 6:21 am

Delicious! I made these last night for the first course of my family’s Hanukkah/Solstice/early Christmas celebration (served with homemade apple sauce and smoked trout pate) and they were a big hit. Great flavors with just enough of a nod to tradition for my decidedly untraditional family ;) Thanks for sharing.

Time to light the candles | Let's Happy - December 7, 2012 - 8:21 pm