Rhubarb Sorbet

Rhubarb Sorbet

This might be my new favorite dessert. I am rather enamored with the color of this sorbet, which is almost like bubblegum in its pure, pink vibrancy. And even if it’s raining outside, and has been all week, and I have a mental block where frozen desserts and cold weather are concerned, I still haven’t been able to resist this. It’s refreshing and light, a little tart and a little sweet, the absolute definition of a palate cleanser. If you were feeling bold and had a mind to serve it in between courses, your guests would approve, enthusiastically.

Most recipes called for double the sugar used here; I opted for much less because I didn’t want the flavor of the rhubarb to be obscured by too much sugar. It has such a lovely tart and fresh flavor and it’d be a shame to hide that. Here, it’s the star of the show, fortified by a little lemon juice and a little ginger. A lot of recipes for sorbet also call for corn syrup, because it helps the texture. Instead, I’ve used a tiny amount of gin, which won’t affect the flavor but provides the same benefit. Now go forth and make yourself some rhubarb sorbet. (And consider pairing it with Sparkling Ink’s Ginger Cookies.)

This Rhubarb Sorbet recipe is part of the March Seasonal Food Guide.

RHUBARB SORBET
Yield: about 1 pint

3 cups rhubarb, chopped
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1-2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced (adjust according to taste)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons gin or vodka
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

In a non-reactive sauce pan, combine the rhubarb, water, sugar, ginger and lemon juice. Bring to a low simmer and cook until rhubarb is completely soft, about 5-10 minutes. Puree rhubarb mixture using either an immersion blender, food processor or upright blender.

Chill the puree until cool but not frozen. In the freezer, this will take 1/2-1 hour. Stir every 15 minutes or so. In the fridge, it will take a few hours and can be left overnight.

Process rhubarb puree according to the directions on your ice cream maker, about 25-30 minutes. Best enjoyed immediately!

Jason Sandeman - March 21, 2011 - 3:10 pm

How refreshing! I have a 5 course meal that is just screaming for this as a trou normand! Impressive. I prefer the gin though, as a nice juniper note would go well in there.

kimberley - March 21, 2011 - 3:21 pm

Good call on the juniper notes, Jason! I totally agree.

Elizabeth @ Saffron Lane - March 21, 2011 - 4:43 pm

Thanks for visiting my blog, Kimberley. Someone recently directed me to yours and I couldn’t resist this recipe. As you mentioned, the color alone has me craving a bite of this cool concoction.

And, while I’m more of a vodka drinker, the juniper notes would definitely tie this all together, as Jason mentioned. Thanks for the inspiration! Can’t wait to see what’s next…

Nicole - March 21, 2011 - 4:48 pm

I love when people are kind to Rhubarb. It is one of my favorite things and all of the recipes I find just kill it with sugar. This looks so lovely. I can’t wait for the snow to melt and my Rhubarb to show up. This is on my list for sure.

Lynda - March 21, 2011 - 5:32 pm

This is brilliant with the gin and ginger – a perfect palate cleanser. Now I just need to plan a dinner party.

elizabeth / sophisticated pie - March 21, 2011 - 6:26 pm

looks stunning! love a sorbet/ granita… so glad the weather is heading warmer, so I’ll be even more inspired to make recipes like this. yum!!

Mika - March 22, 2011 - 12:00 am

You are right, the color is amazing!!!
I hope to try it soon…as soon as I find rhubarb ^_^

I’m going to move again to sardinia from germany and my super sweet mother-in-low said to me she picked up some super green wild asparagus from our super beautiful sardinia countryside and freezed them for me…even if I didn’t ask her to do it for me…she knows I’m crazy about them… ^_^
No more white asparagus…

Tine - March 22, 2011 - 12:19 am

I also love the bubblegum color!
Less sugar, sounds good! I’m still waiting for the first rhubarb in my grocery store.

Catherine - March 22, 2011 - 5:19 am

Such a fantastic colour! I love rhubarb and always think it’s such a shame when people over sweeten it so it’s nice to see a recipe which lets it’s tartness shine through. I don’t keep gin in the house but, being a total sucker for the rhubarb-orange combo, I’d be tempted to add a dash of cointreau instead, or maybe elderflower liqueur would be nice… Ooh the possibilities!

Stephanie @ okie dokie artichokie - March 22, 2011 - 7:01 am

Looks delightfully refreshing! I’m not a huge fan of rhubarb…at least in pie form, but this sorbet is definitely something up my alley. I love the color and the zing! :-p Spring time flavor for sure!

sucre en poudre - March 22, 2011 - 8:12 am

I love the color!
iza:)

Erika Beth, the Messy Chef - March 22, 2011 - 8:56 am

I am enamored with the color of this sorbet too. How glorious!

JessE - March 22, 2011 - 9:36 am

We’ll have to wait a few more months here up north, but this will definately be made! thanks for a beaut of a picture. Saw you on Tastespotting.

Nicole - March 22, 2011 - 9:47 am

This seems like the perfect recipe to try rhubarb. (Sadly, I have yet to get around to cooking with it.) The color is lovely — makes me think of summer!

Elizabeth - March 23, 2011 - 10:39 am

This looks so awesome I may lick the screen.

tiina { sparkling ink } - March 23, 2011 - 1:45 pm

I have cooked and pureed rhubarb in the freezer, so I might make a version of this using that. Would for sure be great with my ginger cookies. Thanks for the lovely mention!

Joanne - March 24, 2011 - 4:33 am

Well, it may be snowing here today (so the forecast tells me) but i have no qualms about eating sorbet year round. Now…to find some rhubarb. That shall be my quest for the day! Looks delicious.

NicoleD - March 24, 2011 - 1:11 pm

I have had trouble with rhubarb’s texture in the past, but there is no denying how beautiful the color is and the flavor is unique. This looks like the perfect recipe to highlight its color and flavor.

Kasey - March 24, 2011 - 1:54 pm

I love rhubarb and one of my favorite things about it is the color! I recently made some juice with it and was amazed by its vibrancy. Once we get some sunshine in SF, I definitely want to try this!

kickpleat - March 25, 2011 - 9:58 am

This looks so pretty – the colour is amazing! I can’t wait until I spot rhubarb at the markets. Love the old spoon in your photo.

[...] a wiz at canning). The Year in Food recently posted about this fantastic-looking, refreshing Rhubarb Sorbet. If you really want to get on board, Food52 is organizing a rhubarb group project in which [...]

[...] THIS MONTH: RHUBARB SORBET [...]