Smoky Carrot Hummus

Smoky Carrot Hummus

I was reluctant to do anything with carrots. Reluctant because, here at the tail end of winter, we’re kind of done with root vegetables, right? Yes. There’s a longing for asparagus, strawberries and the excitement of spring produce, and they’re almost here. But not quite. So what we do instead is jazz up those old root vegetables so it doesn’t even matter what season it is.

And they work pretty darn fantastically in hummus. The roasted carrots add a delicate sweet note that is kept in check by the creamy goodness of the garbanzo beans, given nuance and depth by way of a generous helping of paprika and a little smoky heat from some ground chipotle. It’s kind of addictive!

This Smoky Carrot Hummus recipe is part of the March Seasonal Food Guide

SMOKY CARROT HUMMUS

1 pound carrots, rinsed
3/4 cup cooked garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
1 lemon, juiced (about 3-4 tablespoons)
1 tbs sesame seeds
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp paprika
1/2 t cumin
1/4 tsp chipotle chile powder
1/4 tsp sea salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Chop carrots into large chunks. Toss in 2 teaspoons olive oil and lightly salt. Roast for about 30 minutes, until carrots are fork-tender. Set aside until cool enough to work with.

Meanwhile, you can get everything else ready. Using either a blender or food processor, add the garbanzo beans, 2 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, sesame seeds, garlic, all spices and salt.

Once the carrots have cooled, add them to the blender or food processor. Pulse or blend until combined. Have the olive oil on hand if you need to add more because the consistency is too thick.

Garnish with paprika or fresh parsley. Serve with crackers, bread or tortilla chips. Spread on a sandwich. Enjoy!

Caitlin - March 6, 2011 - 5:47 pm

I just had a carrot hummus that was layered between grilled bread and grilled sardines at Nopa and it was my favorite thing of the night. The hummus there almost took on an uni-like flavor and texture and I have been thinking about it since. Thanks for already working out the details for me!!

kimberley - March 6, 2011 - 10:48 pm

Wowzers! I’m totally intrigued by this uni-like flavor and texture. Perhaps I need to stop in at Nopa, because that sounds ridiculous.

Tine - March 6, 2011 - 11:04 pm

Definitely gonna try your recipe!

Mika - March 7, 2011 - 12:07 am

This recipe looks super yummy! I really like the idea to use roasted carrots…I don’t know why but I see this with garlic bread and a lot of black olives and sliced onion…

Sasa - March 7, 2011 - 2:43 am

I feel the same way – can’t wait for strawberries but carrots are such a standby, I don’t ever get sick of them really. I once made a carrot dip called something like lahasi tourni (can’t find it now and have memory like a sieve) but this with chickpeas – perfect, it makes it substantial and adds a bit of protein too – I can see it working well as a nice solo dinner or part of nibbles with friends.

Peggy - March 7, 2011 - 2:56 am

I can never be too tired of carrots! This hummus sounds so unique and fantastic! Can’t wait to try it out!

Brian @ A Thought For Food - March 7, 2011 - 9:08 am

Love this variation of hummus! I love Caitlin’s idea of grilled bread and the sardines (plus I love Nopa!)

Emma - March 7, 2011 - 9:22 am

Oooh this looks delish! Carrot hummus seems to be THE new thing this year, it’s popping up on menus and in stores all over the place suddenly but this is the first recipe I’ve seen. Love the idea of the smokiness with the paprika, I can imagine that works so well with the sweet carrot.

Lisa Marie - March 7, 2011 - 9:57 am

Wonderful! I was just looking for a good, new way to use carrots. Excited to try this!

kimberley - March 7, 2011 - 10:14 am

@Mika: I contemplated putting olives in the mix here. Good call.
@Sasa: Carrots are such a standby. Maybe that’s why I do get sick of them. But I’m kind of addicted to this hummus!
@Peggy: I guess that I was getting tired of carrots, which ultimately led to this.
@Brian: I totally agree. I am itching to try out some version of the grilled sardines/bread combo from Nopa. Love your site!
@Emma: I had no idea I was part of a trend! A good one, for sure. :)
@Lisa Marie: I am excited to now have a new way to use carrots too!

Reg@TatteredCookbook.com - March 7, 2011 - 11:51 am

I love this idea!

And i love the layering

of flavors here: sweet and

spicy (paprika/cumin).

Well done.

Cheers!

Tricia N - March 7, 2011 - 12:32 pm

What a great idea…I really can’t wait to try this. I get a bit tired of just chick peas but love the idea of hummus. Thanks!

wgfoodie - March 7, 2011 - 6:33 pm

I was JUST thinking to myself that I wanted to put a twist on traditional hummus. This is perfect! I love the incorporation of carrots and spice. Cannot wait to whip up a batch myself.

Stephanie @ okie dokie artichokie - March 8, 2011 - 4:45 am

Oooh, those do look quite lovely. Nibbling on those would definitely keep me warm on these last few days of Winter. :-p I’ve never used ground chipotle powder, only the canned variety, but it certainly looks great. Love the smokiness that little pepper offers!

Joanne - March 8, 2011 - 4:56 am

I am definitely longing for spring vegetables but I could never give up on my favorite roots! This hummus sounds so delicious! Very unique.

NicoleD - March 8, 2011 - 10:02 am

All of your food looks unbelievably pretty. I love this idea. A friends sent me a carrot/nut spread recently and this reminds me of it. I guess I need to get with the program and start making some carrot spreads!

carolyn - March 15, 2011 - 12:49 pm

gorgeous gorgeous blog! i’ve made hummus w/sweet potato and i’d imagine this is equally as delicious. stunning color…

Chelsea - March 17, 2011 - 8:40 am

This sounds amazing and the pics are fabulous. I want to try it with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Think it would add to that smoky flavor. Mmmm thanks for the inspiration!

Cacau - April 13, 2011 - 12:02 pm

WOW! Simply loved this idea!
Here in Brazil we have carrots almost year-round. And this is such a great idea. Sometimes I just dont know what to do with them besides salad and stews ;)
Thanks for sharing!

Angela - April 20, 2011 - 2:00 am

This looks delicious! I’ll try this recipe, I like carrots in any season :)

Lisa - April 20, 2011 - 4:23 pm

This sounds really interesting! I might try making it.

Diana - June 20, 2013 - 10:39 am

I just made this. Wow, it’s awesome. I used some chopped up chipotles instead of the powder and an extra bit of tahine. Love love love it. Taking it to a dinner party tonight and I am so sure everyone is going to LOVE it!

[...] består jo egentlig af kikærter, og denne opskrift ville også i sin orginale form have mig til at komme kikærter i. Men den går ikke – kikærter indeholder omkring 7 procent [...]

[...] time to clear house, what with spring allegedly right around the corner. I was making a divine Smoky Carrot Hummus for dinner and, seeking out a vessel for the aromatic spread, was decidedly uninspired by the [...]

Smoked Carrot Puree « Caitlin Dentino - March 29, 2011 - 12:03 pm

[...] then my friend Kimberley posted a smoky carrot hummus on her blog a few days later. Obviously carrots have been stalking [...]

Must Try Carrot Recipe | taste station - July 18, 2011 - 8:17 pm

[...] Carrot Hummus Smoky and lightly sweet, you’ll never go back to plain old hummus again! [...]

[...] I saw this recipe for ‘Smoky Carrot Hummus‘ the Bugs Bunny inside me lit up. First off, I’m not a big fan of spicy things, but I [...]

Roasted Garlic and Carrot Hummus - October 16, 2012 - 4:02 am