BLUEBERRY CORNBREAD

Blueberry Cornbread

Here in San Francisco we’re approaching the time of year when we’re fogged in, windy and cloudy while the rest of the northern hemisphere frolics half-naked in ridiculous heat. This is the time of year when I cast a longing eye north, east or south (I’m looking at you Portland, Brooklyn, Chicago and Fresno!), any direction that’ll get me out of this miserable non-summer that I’ll never grow accustomed to. Nobody likes a complainer, I know. It’s tricky, though: there’s been this ferocious, bitter wind coursing through the city and I’m of half a mind to protest by staging a bed-in.

This weather also makes me fantasize about picnics, dining out of doors, and the fine, fine food coming our way on those lovely days and weekends when I can make a hasty escape from our frigid city. Which is why I made this cornbread. Cornbread’s great any time of year, no doubt. But isn’t there something kind of classically summery and celebratory about it? And when you stud cornbread with a pile of fresh, perfect blueberries and bake it in a cozy oven in a cast-iron skillet, the shortcomings of the season are mitigated, just a little. And that’s what I’m looking for right now.

This Blueberry Cornbread recipe is part of The May Seasonal Food Guide.

Blueberry Cornbread

BLUEBERRY CORNBREAD
adapted from Sunset Magazine via A Cozy Kitchen

1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 1/3 cup cornmeal
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk and melted butter. In a separate bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Fold dry mixture into wet. Gently fold blueberries into the batter.

If using a skillet, warm it over a low flame and melt another teaspoon or so of butter in the skillet – enough to coat.

Pour batter into skillet. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.

These little suckers are heavenly fresh out of the oven with a pat of your best butter. You’ve been warned. :)

James - May 24, 2011 - 8:04 pm

Yay Fresno! This looks and sounds amazing.

bianca - May 24, 2011 - 8:49 pm

OMG this recipe looks amazing. If it wasnt far too late in the evening I would be making these now!

kickpleat - May 24, 2011 - 10:40 pm

I’m always in for a bed-in and this does sound lovely (and looks beautiful too, I might add). I’ve got blackberries so maybe I’ll try this with those instead. Yum.

Mika - May 24, 2011 - 10:52 pm

Your cornbread looks delicious…
I tried it just once and was salty, I like the idea to add bluberries to it…

Sasa - May 25, 2011 - 4:01 am

Gah, what!? You mean to say I’m flying into non-summer? I dunno that nobody likes a complainer, complainers can be highly amusing when they do it right ;P

Jess - May 25, 2011 - 7:41 am

It’s been pouring rain for more than a week here in Boulder, Colorado, which is really unusual. Normally the sun pretty much shines constantly. I can feel myself turning into Oscar the Grouch, but this cornbread just brought a little sunshine my way. I love blueberries.

NicoleD - May 25, 2011 - 7:58 am

Our weather is fickle here in Michigan, too. We’re thinking of heading to Chicago in July and I’m compiling a list of restaurants and tart frozen yogurt places. The list is getting exciting. That’s my vote for you, plus we could meet up :)

I once tried basil cornbread and I wasn’t feeling it, but I can totally get behind blueberries+cornbread.

Kasey - May 25, 2011 - 9:40 am

This is totally my least favorite time of year. Every summer I tell myself, “this is my last summer in San Francisco!” We should have a gray picnic in the park sometime ;) This cornbread looks so pretty – I love when you put blueberries in stuff, it turns everything that vibrant, messy purpulish blue :)

Tova - May 25, 2011 - 9:51 am

I live in Oakland and I too am finding it super tempting lately to stage a bed-in!! I also just made blueberry scones last night to use up the last of my blueberries. Wish I had seen this first. It looks perfect!

Brian @ A Thought For Food - May 25, 2011 - 12:39 pm

You know… I do love cornbread. I really do. But sometimes it’s just kind of bleh. Love love LOVE The idea of throwing blueberries in and making this more muffiny ;-)

Stephanie @ okie dokie artichokie - May 25, 2011 - 1:02 pm

Gorgeous! On this dreary of dreariest of rainy days a warm slice of crumbly cornbread sounds just fine. Yum, Kim!

kankana - May 25, 2011 - 4:03 pm

I too stay in the bay area and i am getting frustrated about the weather. Wonder where is the sun and spring and summer is almost approaching and I don’t feel anything !!
These cornbread is probably a great way to brighten up the mood a little :)

Kristie @ What's for dinner? - May 25, 2011 - 5:37 pm

Oooo! I love cornbread with buttermilk and a high cornmeal to flour ratio! I never thought to add blueberries…thanks for the idea. Looking forward to trying it!
PS Just returned from New Orleans…it’s nice and warm there :-)

Joanne - May 26, 2011 - 8:36 am

I hate to tell you this, but Brooklyn is pretty cold and muggy also. So you might want to just skip the whole northeast. :P

Never have I ever seen cornbread look so VIBRANT! That is gorgeous.

Are we still on for lunch on Friday? I’m excited!

Elizabeth @ Saffron Lane - May 28, 2011 - 1:01 am

Agh, yes. The blustery SF summer actually drove me to Marin a couple years ago in search of long, sunny days and the sound of crickets at night. I’m in Ireland right now — very cold, rainy and windy. In comparison, SF is actually pretty balmy and mild.

Love this recipe, and your inventive description of it. Thankfully, you don’t have to travel far at all for a true taste of summer!

kimberley - May 29, 2011 - 9:46 am

Elizabeth, you know my pain! All the more reason for me to steal away from the fog and visit you in Marin this summer.

Stacy Marie - July 31, 2011 - 8:33 am

This caught my eye when you posted it back in May, before blueberries had made their blessed appearance here in the Midwest. I waited (somewhat) patiently and finally made it yesterday for a riverside picnic–delightful! This really is a lovely blog; thank you, Kimberley. Hope your summertime has turned warmer.

Blueberry Cornbread | - September 15, 2011 - 9:31 am

[...] turnip greens, and I have quite the sweet tooth. So blueberry cornbread it is. I came across the recipe on a food blog, The Year in Food, that I’ve recently started [...]

MAY SEASONAL FOOD GUIDE » The Year In Food - February 23, 2012 - 6:38 pm