SQUASH BLOSSOMS STUFFED WITH GOAT CHEESE, CORN AND POBLANO PEPPERS

Squash Blossoms

Sometimes I land on a particularly winning combo of flavors and it’s like when you find that song that’s so dang perfect you have to listen to it on repeat, like, twenty times a day. That song for me right now is Paul Simon’s The Obvious Child. Remember the video? Paul Simon strumming his guitar in the midst of all those enthusiastic drummers? I remember being so engaged by it as a kid.

Squash Blossoms

So, the ingredients going on here – the basil, the charred corn and the smoky poblano, and the feta and goat cheeses – well, they work. Add a deep fry to the mix and you’ve got some addictive appetizer magic. The kind that you want to put on repeat in your mouth. Enjoy!

This recipe is part of The June Seasonal Food Guide

SQUASH BLOSSOMS STUFFED WITH GOAT CHEESE, CORN AND POBLANO PEPPERS
Yield: about 6 appetizer servings

12 squash blossoms
1/2 cup mild goat cheese
1/4 cup crumbled feta
1/3 cup fresh corn kernels
1/4 cup diced poblano pepper
2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
vegetable oil for deep frying
salt + pepper to taste
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chilled sparkling water

First, prepare the pepper and corn by charring them over a gas stove. Place the poblano pepper on a skewer and let it sit over an open gas burner on your stove set at about medium. Turn it as each side begins to blacken and blister until most of the surface has charred. Set aside to cool. Once cool, remove the skin under running water. Lastly, dice the pepper and set aside.

Do the same with your ear of corn. Unlike the poblano, though, you don’t want to char it until it’s entirely black, just nicely browned. When the corn is cool enough to work with, stand it vertically and slice the kernels from the cob using a sharp knife.

In a mixing bowl, combine the feta and goat cheese with the diced poblano, corn and basil. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Begin to heat your oil for frying a small or medium sized saucepan. Use a candy thermometer for accuracy. You want to fry these at 350 degrees.

Prepare the tempura batter: Add the flour to a mixing bowl, and stir in the sparkling water, stirring until just combined. A lumpy batter is perfect. Set aside until blossoms are ready.

Prepare the squash blossoms: remove the inner stamen by carefully inserting a finger and plucking it loose. It should come loose pretty easily, and if the blossom tears a little, it’s not the end of the world.

Once the stamens have been removed, measure one tablespoon of the filling and carefully stuff it into each squash blossom. Twist the top of the blossom to keep it closed.

Carefully roll the blossom in the batter. If the top comes loose, twist it again.

Place one or two blossoms in the hot oil at a time. Fry for about 2-3 minutes, until crisped and just a little golden.

Remove blossoms with tongs and set aside on a plate lined with paper towels.

james - June 24, 2011 - 3:43 pm

Gah! These look even better than I was expecting. I hope I can still get a hold of some blossoms here!

Tina Stamos - June 24, 2011 - 4:54 pm

These look amazing and I’m going squash blossum hunting tomorrow…do such dedicate wonderful things exsist in the Dallas desert?
My repeat song is anything by Duran Duran and 1000 miles from nowhere by Dwight yoakam-I like to cut a wide swath:)

la domestique - June 24, 2011 - 5:06 pm

Fantastique! The combo sounds like everything I want right now (plus a cold beer). :)

sara - June 24, 2011 - 9:14 pm

holy goodness! Was just talking with a friend about frying squash blossoms, and how I wasn’t into it… and then I saw these. They sound amazing and I love that the batter is so light!

bianca - June 24, 2011 - 9:20 pm

This has the potential to change my kitchen life! I love delicious appies like this- thanks for the great recipe!

Joy - June 25, 2011 - 12:33 am

This looks so amazing. And I have no idea what squash blossom are to save my life. But it looks sooooo good *drools*.

tami - June 25, 2011 - 5:47 am

some of my favorite things all in one recipe: squash blossoms, goat cheese and southwest flavors. beautiful, as always, too. thanks for sharing this recipe. xo

- t*

Lynda - June 25, 2011 - 8:09 am

Oh my this is good. I love every ingredient and the tempura batter!

Tova - June 25, 2011 - 11:44 am

So, so gorgeous AND there’s feta inside?? Amazing!

G. - June 25, 2011 - 1:45 pm

i love paul simon! but i think i may just love your squash blossoms even more! they look so, so lovely. hope you’re doing well, my dear. enjoy your weekend! xx

Season with Reason - June 25, 2011 - 6:58 pm

Wish I’d had this a week ago when I featured summer squash – will be sure to make nonetheless! Looking forward to more of the June recipes.

Val - June 26, 2011 - 6:49 am

That is a particularly winning combo of flavours. Just wish I was in the vicinity of squash blossoms. I may give it a try with courgettes instead as they are light and not too intrusive in flavour and would partner well with the other flavours.

Kimberley - June 26, 2011 - 8:41 am

Hello all! As for finding squash blossoms: they are the young blossom of any zucchini/summer squash/courgette. If you grow any kind of summer squash yourself, you’ll have a bountiful harvest. The male blossoms are especially great because they’ll never produce a squash. Good luck finding them!

Sasa - June 26, 2011 - 12:59 pm

Oh, I first had these in France when I was doing a private chef job there – they are heavenly heaven and so summery *love*

Elizabeth @ Saffron Lane - June 26, 2011 - 2:15 pm

Kimberley, my garden is overflowing with squash blossoms right now so this post couldn’t have more perfect timing. I adore all those ingredients and can just about taste how well the combination would work. Maybe I need to change my Sunday afternoon plans to include a little deep frying…

Stephanie @ okie dokie artichokie - June 28, 2011 - 4:59 am

You’re making me crave these all over again. I just made some for the first time a month ago and fell in love! You’re right — such addictive little buggers these are! I didn’t put charred corn or peppers in them but I can imagine the smokiness and depth of character it might give to the blossom. Wonderful!

kathryn tomajan - June 29, 2011 - 2:02 pm

Ah! Squash blossoms are EVERYWHERE here in Italy… but corn and poblanos, not so much. I’ll improvise though. Beautiful post.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods - June 30, 2011 - 2:13 pm

Yes please! Love a good stuffed squash blossom!

Bunny from Couleur Nature - July 5, 2011 - 2:41 pm

Yummmmmmmmm. Any substitutions for squash blossoms though? Our summer has been so incredibly dry we’re short on those. . .And I plan to substitute Hatch green chile for the poblanos. Maybe. This looks amazing.

Kimberley - July 5, 2011 - 2:45 pm

Bunny: I’ve heard that cucumber blossoms are a surprising and suitable stand-in. Other than that, I’m stumped! I think subbing the Hatch chiles would work dandily.

liz - July 14, 2011 - 3:18 pm

just received a boat-load of squash blossoms. what to do, what to do?
well, tonight they’re being stuffed with ricotta, mozarella and parmesan cheese seasoned with garlic and fresh basil. then dipped in a tempura batter, fried in vegetable oil until golden. served with a fresh tomato marinara.
tomorrow night, who knows, maybe go a little south of the border.
what a delicacy!

Heidi / foodiecrush - July 29, 2011 - 7:49 pm

I’m making homemade ricotta this weekend and these photos are inspiring me. Love your combination of ingredients to stuff as well. Gorgeous photos, love the simplicity of your blog.