Holiday Weekends, Etsy, Recovery Salads

Cherry, Arugula + Wild Rice Salad

First, some exciting news: I’m now going to be contributing creative seasonal recipes to Etsy’s blog! I am absolutely thrilled about this. Etsy’s dedication to community and craft is something that I have a huge amount of respect for. Go check out my first post, Lamb Burgers with Peach Chutney.

Let’s talk about the weekend. Oh, the weekend! San Francisco was in top form over the holiday weekend, gracing us with a rare heat wave and the ability to actually participate in and enjoy every last classic detail of summer that should be enjoyed on a weekend such as this: back-to-back barbecues, evening walks in summer dresses, cool drinks, frozen desserts, watermelon, impromptu shade structures, lots of classic American rock, fireworks-viewing from rooftops, and a heck of a lot of meat.

Cherries

That’s why this is a week dedicated to salad; it’s time to recover from the indulgences of the weekend. We’re in our prime where summer produce is concerned, and that means that one could make a different salad every night of the week and easily never repeat two ingredients. I can get behind that.

Here, every flavor serves an essential purpose: the fresh, tart and vibrant cherries play remarkably well off the spicy arugula, the marinated feta lends a heavenly, creamy softness, the wild rice provides texture and tooth, and the shallots and olive oil and Balsamic vinegar round out everything perfectly. Enjoy.

Cherry, Arugula + Wild Rice Salad

This Cherry, Arugula + Wild Rice Salad is part of The June Seasonal Food Guide.

CHERRY, ARUGULA + WILD RICE SALAD
Serves 4

3 cups arugula
1 cup pitted and halved cherries
1 cup cooked wild rice
1 cup sliced shallots
3/4 cup crumbled marinated feta (use regular if you can’t find marinated)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
salt + pepper to taste

First, saute the shallots. Heat a skillet over a medium flame. Saute the shallots, stirring occasionally, until completely soft, about ten minutes. Set aside to cool.

Prepare the dressing by whisking together the oil and vinegar and adding salt and pepper to taste.

Next, combine the arugula, cherries, feta, wild rice and shallots. Toss with the dressing. Best if served immediately.

tami - July 6, 2011 - 1:12 pm

Beautiful, as always. So funny though – I, too, am going through a blue & white phase. Bought a ton of new napkins and plates/bowls and they’re all in that color scheme. You’ll see on the blog soon enough :) xo

- t*

la domestique - July 6, 2011 - 1:49 pm

I am sitting here trying to think of how to wrap up cherry week at la domestique…had cherry salad with arugula and parm on my mind- great minds think alike! The wild rice is a fantastic idea, I was thinking about wheat berries.

Sasa - July 6, 2011 - 2:01 pm

Yay! Congratulations (again ;P) That is such great news, onwards and upwards! I was just looking at that gimp mask photo the other day and it reminded me of those doughnuts we ate…I kinda need some now – it’s breakfast time here.

kankana - July 6, 2011 - 2:02 pm

The salad looks great .. i never had rice on salad, may be I should try with this recipe.

Tova - July 6, 2011 - 2:33 pm

Congratulations on writing for Etsy. That’s so exciting!
I’m super jealous of your weekend in the city. I actually left town but instantly regretted it when I heard what the weather was going to be like.

Joy - July 6, 2011 - 3:51 pm

Congrats on Etsy! You’re perfect for it really. I can’t get enough of Arugula so thanks for another recipe with it :)

bianca - July 6, 2011 - 5:26 pm

Etsy is huge- congrats! I definitely feel you, I indulged very much over this past holiday weekend- time for salad!

Lynda - July 6, 2011 - 5:53 pm

Congratulations on Etsy – what a wonderful site. And 3 cheers to a week of salads! This recipe is perfect for an easy dinner.

Season with Reason - July 7, 2011 - 6:56 am

Congrats on the new gig! You must have read my mind with this salad – we are just returning from vacation and need some relief from all of the indulgence.

Elizabeth @ Saffron Lane - July 7, 2011 - 11:08 am

Congrats again on the Etsy gig! Yep, I’ve been picking veggies from my garden all week for the detox salad regimen. And, I’m loving the styling of your first photo — so crisp and clean!

Danielle - July 7, 2011 - 5:18 pm

Hello from a fellow Etsy contributor!!! I just started with them too so it was nice to see a familiar face on their site! :) I’m addicted to arugula and I love that it grows so easily in our garden :) Happy Summer!

Kelsey (Happyolks) - July 8, 2011 - 8:25 am

Congratulations! Your creativity, authenticity, and amazing recipes are going to totally thrive on Etsy. I’ll have to bookmark it in my reader. Love love love this salad. Can I come over for dinner?

Cookie and Kate - July 8, 2011 - 8:30 am

Your salad sounds fantastic! I just posted my own July 4th recovery salad—spinach, strawberries, goat cheese and sweet and spicy walnuts. Can’t get enough salad this summer!

Brian @ A Thought For Food - July 8, 2011 - 9:10 am

What a fantastic salad this is! Cherries never last long in our house… not long enough to do anything but gobble them up. But I may have to reserve some next time to give this a shot.

Kimberley - July 8, 2011 - 10:31 am

@tami: The blues and whites, yes! So summery and cool and refreshing. Can’t wait to see what you do.
@Sasa: Wish I could deliver you one of those doughnuts!
@Brian: I had totally meant to mention my trouble keeping my hands off the cherries. That’s why you buy twice as much, and only plan on half of them making it into the salad. :)

And thanks, all, on your kind words with regard to Etsy! So exciting.

NicoleD - July 8, 2011 - 11:39 am

Congrats on your Etsy feature! You+Etsy=magic :) I cannot wait to get my hands on some cherries.

nicole franzen - July 10, 2011 - 7:24 am

love the feta, cherry arugula combo. YUM

Kasey - July 12, 2011 - 9:05 pm

Congrats on the Etsy gig! Your photos looked gorgeous, as always. I have a big bag of cherries in the fridge…oh, yes.

Erica Julson - July 19, 2011 - 6:36 pm

Wow that is so awesome, I didn’t know Etsy had a recipe section. I’ll have to check it out! The peach chutney burgers sound REALLY good.

[...] THIS MONTH: CHERRY, ARUGULA + WILD RICE SALAD [...]