SUMMER BERRY + MINT ICE POPS

Summer Berry + Mint Ice Pops

Lately I’ve been listening to a lot of Willie Nelson. He’s pretty much perfect for summertime, what with that winsome, triumphant, bittersweet music that sometimes verges on minimal. When you land on something whose simplicity transports you, it’s kind of a revelation. I’m dreaming of road trips with lots of Willie Nelson, lost in thoughts and fantasizing about popsicles to punctuate the long, hot drives.

Originally I had some fancy ice pops in mind, kind of a frozen version of a perfect dark chocolate bar. One that incorporated expensive sea salts, toasted almonds and the like. But something about their fussiness wasn’t really sitting well. So I returned to this – it’s basically a frozen version of your favorite summer berry jam, or your favorite berry pie, or your favorite berry crumble. Just imagine those flavors concentrated and frozen and without a crust. And with some fresh mint to top things off. Right now, their simplicity is really hitting the spot.

Faint Traces

These Summer Berry + Mint Ice Pops are part of the July Seasonal Food Guide.

PS: If you’re in a popsicle mood, you might want to check out these Horchata Pops that I made for Etsy’s blog!

BERRY + MINT ICE POPS
Yield: 8 popsicles (using 3 ounce molds)

1 cup raspberries
1 cup blackberries
1 cup sliced strawberries
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons finely minced fresh mint

Combine raspberries, blackberries and sliced strawberries with the lemon juice and mint in a mixing bowl. Mash the berries a bit with the back of a large wooden spoon. Let this mixture sit for about a half hour to macerate.

Meanwhile, combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and simmer until the sugar is dissolved. Let cool for about five minutes, then combine with the berry mixture.

Using a glass measuring cup with a spout, carefully pour the berry mixture into your popsicle molds.

Freeze for six hours. If your popsicles stick to the molds, hold them under warm running water to loosen.

Kasey - August 4, 2011 - 3:02 pm

I should really invest in a popsicle mold. I love the combo of berries + mint. Perfection, lady!

la domestique - August 4, 2011 - 3:07 pm

hello-these are fantastic! I love the post and your photographs too! I just came back from visiting my childhood home of Arkansas and Willie was definitely on the radio in my lil’ rental car.

Elizabeth @ Saffron Lane - August 4, 2011 - 5:19 pm

That’s right! You have a road trip coming up. So jealous! I love this flavor combination and especially love how you just macerated the berries. A little chunky fruit is the best part.

Brian @ A Thought For Food - August 4, 2011 - 6:23 pm

That last shot just rocked my world. How creative! Now… can you please send me one of these berries… pronto!

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) - August 4, 2011 - 6:42 pm

These are just the prettiest, summeriest things ever. The color is glorious.

renee@sweetsugarbean - August 4, 2011 - 9:25 pm

I’m with Brian – that last photograph is stunning! These are the best popsicles I’ve seen all summer. Love me some Willie too!

Cookie and Kate - August 5, 2011 - 6:39 am

I don’t remember the last time I ate a popsicle, but I’m all about fresh berries with mint this summer. Want!

caitlin @ thesubletkitchen - August 5, 2011 - 7:55 am

my favorite berry combination! these look delicious. i’ve been looking for that mold, do you have any suggestions on where to buy it?

Tine - August 5, 2011 - 8:19 am

My gosh, looks so tasty!

Kimberley - August 5, 2011 - 9:17 am

Thanks everybody! I wish that I could send you all popsicles! These are really hitting the spot.

@Caitlin: The popsicle mold is made by Norpro and I found it on Amazon. I’m pretty smitten with the shape that it makes – totally classic.

Steph - August 5, 2011 - 10:31 am

These popsicles are beautiful! I love the addition of fresh mint to the smashed berries.

Season with Reason - August 5, 2011 - 10:35 am

Thank you for this! Was looking for popsicles for my son the other day and couldn’t find any without a bunch of junk in them.

NicoleD - August 5, 2011 - 11:23 am

These look divine! I must get myself a popsicle mold, because these are just gorgeous. There is definitely something to be said for simple pleasures that aren’t too fussy. I haven’t listened to Willie Nelson in forever! My dad said that when I was in a kid I asked him why he had pigtails, ha :)

Lynda - August 6, 2011 - 11:01 am

I support the simplicity. And these flavors rock – especially with the mint.

Maria @ Orchard Bloom - August 6, 2011 - 1:15 pm

I’m waiting for popsicle molds to arrive from amazon. As soon as they do, I’m making these. Sounds and looks delicious!

Marla Meridith - August 6, 2011 - 8:53 pm

Love the clean flavors in these pretty ice pops.

Heidi @ Food Doodles - August 6, 2011 - 8:54 pm

Those looks delicious. What a pretty color they are from all those berries. And the mint sounds so refreshing. I could go for one right now :D

Lisa @ The Cooking Bride - August 7, 2011 - 4:41 pm

Love the way you photographed the popsicles.

kankana - August 7, 2011 - 8:55 pm

your photography and styling blows my mind away. The last click is my fav .. i loved these Popsicles, but the last click is still my fav :)

Laken - August 8, 2011 - 7:52 am

So pretty and simple — summer perfection :)

Maria @ Scandifoodie - August 8, 2011 - 11:34 am

These look amazing, I love berries in anything and I can imagine these would be just perfect for summer!

fiona - August 8, 2011 - 2:38 pm

my those colors look amazing! would be perfect for the summer – just not the 50 degree misty san francisco one :P

kristin@ www.freshequation.blogspot.com - August 9, 2011 - 5:45 pm

Mmmmm…. I am loving berries and mint lately so I will have to try this recipe!

Laurel Dalzell - August 10, 2011 - 9:30 pm

Those look and sound amazing! I will have to refer my readers here for an August treat!

Doris Payne - June 24, 2013 - 12:41 pm

I don’t see a “print” to print out the recipe for the Summer berry mint ice pops.” I don’t want all the comments just one set of pops and the recipe.

Doris Payne

citizen q&q - August 28, 2013 - 8:48 pm

omega ????????

Sarah - September 8, 2013 - 8:02 pm

Yummy!

Louise James - January 6, 2014 - 8:59 am

I have a party coming around soon, ill have to give these ago, amazing photos and blog..

[...] Ice Berry and Mint Pops : 13 g CHO per serving : Who doesn’t like a popsicle in the summer? These popsicles pack a whole lot of flavor into a little package, but they are so worth it. The CHO is even lower if you substitute Splenda or Stevia for the sugar. [...]

[...] Summer Berry Mint Ice Pops This is the perfect frozen treat to beat the heat. [...]

[...] MONTH: MIXED BERRY AND MINT ICE POPS fruits and vegetables, july produce, seasonal food, summer food, summer [...]

Strawberry Basil Sorbet - April 30, 2012 - 2:14 pm