The Year In Food » Fine Seasonal Eating

Masthead header

TWICE-BAKED SWEET POTATOES, THANKSGIVING WINS

IMG_8648

Over the weekend, some friends and I hosted a Friendsgiving at my house. It’s a winning Thanksgiving strategy: instead of the immense pressure on the host to prepare so many dishes, people bring their favorite sides and desserts, the host takes care of the bird, and everybody is happy. It was a tremendous success; every plate was cleaned and the turkey was devoured! (No turkey and cranberry sandwiches for us!)

IMG_8618

One of my favorite dishes that evening was a simple twice-baked sweet potato. It starts as an update on the classic potato version. The sweetness of the tuber is tempered by sharp Parmesan, and in my efforts it gets a little tricked out with finely chopped thyme and kale. I ditched sour cream in favor of creamy Greek yogurt. Total win. This could easily be a light main course on a dreary winter night, too. Thanks for the inspiration, Britt!

IMG_8626

Last week on Etsy I wrote about a lovely, simple way to use your holiday leftovers: in Turkey, Apple and Cheddar Handpies. You’ll also find a list of some of my favorite Thanksgiving dishes.

As for the bird, I used Martha Stewart’s brine followed by Gourmet’s high heat roasting method (nixing the salt as it was already brined) for a second year with great results.

And let’s end this debate, once and for all: there are no yams in North America. They are all sweet potatoes. I trust Wikipedia on this one.

TWICE BAKED SWEET POTATOES
Serves 12 as a Thanksgiving or party side; 4-6 as a substantial dinner side

3 medium sweet potatoes
1/2 small yellow onion, diced
1 cup minced kale
1/4 cup strained Greek yogurt
2/3 cup shredded Parmesan, divided
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
salt + pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Rinse sweet potatoes and prick the surface with a fork.

Roast in oven until soft, just about an hour. Remove from heat and allow to cool enough to handle.

In a medium skillet over a medium low flame, saute the onions in a little oil until soft, 2-3 minutes. Add the minced kale and saute until the kale is soft, 2-3 minutes more.

Slice sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, carefully remove most of the sweet potato, being mindful to not tear the delicate skin.

Combine the sweet potatoes with the yogurt, onions, kale, thyme and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese.

Spoon the filling back into the sweet potato skins. Top with the remaining Parmesan cheese.

Bake for another 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is golden and bubbly.

• Kasey - November 21, 2011 - 4:41 pm

My friends have a similar tradition (I am so sad I missed yours!). This year, I made pie and we had 2 birds (1 fried and 1 bbq’d, which is my fave…) These potatoes look like a stellar side dish.ReplyCancel

• Nicole - November 21, 2011 - 4:47 pm

I will definitely be making this for one of those dreary winter nights. It sounds amazing!ReplyCancel

• stephanie - November 21, 2011 - 4:48 pm

These look delicious! If I had not already made a trip to the grocery store today, I’d head out and scoop up these ingredients. Can’t wait to try this recipe!!ReplyCancel

• Melissa // thefauxmartha - November 21, 2011 - 4:48 pm

These look super good. I want! PS—I use the same brine. I may have to try your high-heat technique this year.ReplyCancel

• kickpleat - November 21, 2011 - 5:18 pm

I love thanksgiving and probably should do it twice! I love that this isn’t so sweet and sticky but filling and I think it would be a perfect weeknight dinner with a salad alongside. As for the sweet potato / yam debate, I know in Canada they are labelled differently – the darker orange ones are yams and sweet potatoes are the yellow fleshed versions.ReplyCancel

• la domestique - November 21, 2011 - 5:25 pm

These sweet taters look delish! Love the flavors and totally agree with you on the Greek yogurt thing. Yum.ReplyCancel

• sara - November 21, 2011 - 5:45 pm

yumness! CANT wait to make these. I love the wikipedia clarification. Even in my book manuscript I go back and forth between calling them yams and SP because i couldn’t frickin’ figure it out! So thanks :)ReplyCancel

• renee@sweetsugarbean - November 21, 2011 - 6:44 pm

We had Thanksgiving last month in Canada, but I’m so going to try these out over Christmas. Love the kale and the parm and the goodness that is Greek yogurt. Have a super happy Thanksgiving!ReplyCancel

• Lynda - November 22, 2011 - 9:07 am

This is how we’ve celebrated our thanksgiving open houses for years. It really is a win-win. I love this riff on sweet potatoes!ReplyCancel

• SG - November 22, 2011 - 9:40 am

This sounds perfect for the Friendsgiving I am attending this weekend. Thank you!ReplyCancel

• Brian @ A Thought For Food - November 22, 2011 - 9:55 am

Divying it up is a great idea… though, i must admit, I do get off on the stress of it all :-)

Happy Thanksgiving Darling!ReplyCancel

• Brian @ A Thought For Food - November 22, 2011 - 10:38 am

These potatoes look magical!

Sending you a very happy Thanksgiving!ReplyCancel

• anna - November 22, 2011 - 10:46 am

Great take on a classic Turkey Day Fare – will be trying this one at home – boyfriend will be sure to love! Potatoes and cheese you can’t go wrong – Thanks for sharing.

~ Cookery for Two

ReplyCancel

• NicoleD - November 22, 2011 - 1:17 pm

Oh man, I love the sounds of these. Sweet potatoes with salty Parmesan and herbs. Great idea! I love subbing in Greek yogurt for sour cream. It hasn’t failed me, yet.ReplyCancel

• betty - November 22, 2011 - 8:18 pm

oh wow these look heavenly i only steam these to eat but this is just an incredible idea i have to try these out!ReplyCancel

• Denise - November 22, 2011 - 8:41 pm

Friendsgiving for sure! Such a winner’s dish with simple ingredients. Top on my list!ReplyCancel

• Valeria - November 23, 2011 - 4:52 am

We did a Friendsgiving here in Italy last year, with all our classmates from the Masters we attended in Bra at the University of Gastronomic Sciences. There were people from all over the world, but we made it work great! It was very unconventional –so said the Americans in our group, for me it was the first one. There was no cranberry sauce (very hard to find in Italy) and chicken instead of turkey but there was tonnes of great food everybody took care of- The potluck is a gret idea for a party, always a success. My pumpkin pie made with Italian squash ended up in a second! This year it will be an in home date with my American fiancé, let see how it goes :)ReplyCancel

• oh sweet escape - November 23, 2011 - 1:21 pm

i’m gonna have to try the friendsgiving approach for christmas this year. what a great idea. i don’t know why i didn’t think of it before! it totally makes the evening so much more enjoyable for the host.ReplyCancel

• Cookie and Kate - November 23, 2011 - 6:03 pm

I am so enamored with this recipe. I’m completely obsessed with savory sweet potatoes, and this recipe looks just right.ReplyCancel

• Fresh Equation - December 7, 2011 - 9:13 am

These look delicious! Can’t wait to try them as a new addition to our Christmas Dinner.ReplyCancel

• This American Bite - December 22, 2011 - 1:29 pm

I have a bag of beautiful sweet potatoes in my car earmarked for dinner tonight – the plan had been to roast them with onions and leeks but this seems like a much better idea!ReplyCancel

• Jason Pulesandero - December 31, 2011 - 9:36 pm

In Indian cuisine, food is categorized into six tastes sweet, sour, salty, spicy, bitter and astringent.ReplyCancel

• low carb recipes - January 3, 2012 - 1:48 pm

these look great, I wish i found this recipe in time for christmas dinner, would have been a great addition to the menuReplyCancel

• janice - April 4, 2012 - 6:00 am

This looks delicious!!! Im going to try this one day when I have people over. Also, that thanksgiving idea sounds great. I might tell my mother about it when the time comes. Shes always stressing out about having to cook everything, then we end up making a big mess in the kitchen. Im going to save this recipe. -bookmark!-ReplyCancel

• twice-baked sweet potatoes « - July 31, 2012 - 8:45 pm

[...] 24 July, 2012 § Leave a Comment Image from The Year in Food [...]ReplyCancel

• Twice baked sweet potatoes. « kate achille. - September 12, 2012 - 5:44 am

[...] sage. Inspired, I took to my bookmarked recipes file this week and tracked down this take on this twice baked sweet potatoes recipe. I tweaked it a bit per the wonderful selection at my local grocery store (sarcasm alert) and [...]ReplyCancel

• Maree - May 4, 2013 - 1:42 am

I made this tonight, and substituted the thyme with mint.
    Thanks for sharing this recipe, it was delicious.
    (Had it as a side with some crispy skinned salmon).ReplyCancel