Beet Crudo with Chimichurri

Beet crudo

Running a blog is kind of like owning a small business, isn’t it? Sometimes I forget this. Until, oh, I make a decision to change the permissions on my Flickr images and every single link to every single photo on this site is broken. Oops. (And please excuse those broken image links as I work to get through them. Soon!)

There is no repair person to call, no assistant in the next room to do the drudge work. I had to suck it up and deal. It’s been an inconvenience, but life is full of those, right? I’ve been thinking a lot recently about how easily I get frustrated with situations. Somehow, this one didn’t get the better of me. (No tears!) There are hours ahead of fixing to do, but I’ve got my fingers, my toes, my health, my friends and my family. That’s right.

Originally, I was going to open this post praising this dish for reinvigorating my taste for beets. I realized not too long ago that beets don’t excite me the way some vegetables do – brussels sprouts and cauliflower, for instance. Some combination of their intense sweetness and earthy, mineral taste vaguely reminiscent of dirt leave something to be desired. I wanted to love them, though. And while this chimichurri was originally destined for these cauliflower steaks, once I realized how perfect a foil they would be on beets, there was no turning back. Chimichurri is intense, vibrant and puckery, full of the bright flavors of olive oil, red wine vinegar, shallots and garlic, rounded out with the heat of a few chile flakes – all good things to temper the earthy, sweet flavors of a beet. This is one instance where a mandoline is extra, extra helpful. Mandatory, even. Since we’re working with raw beets, slicing them paper-thin helps them marinate better in the chimichurri. (And don’t eat too much – beets can cause tummy upset!)

IMG_3590

BEET CRUDO WITH CHIMICHURRI
Yield: about 4 appetizer servings

3 medium beets (include gold and chioggia beets for color and variety)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small shallot, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3/4 cup fresh, chopped flatleaf parsley
1 tablespoon fresh, minced oregano
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes

First, slice the beets. Use a mandoline or benriner! Slice the red beets separately from your gold and chioggia beets. The red beets will stain everything, ruining the presentation. Set the sliced beets aside.

In a medium skillet over a low flame, warm the olive oil. Add the shallots and garlic and saute until just soft, about three minutes. Stir frequently to prevent browning.

Once soft, remove from heat. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.

Keeping the red beets separate, toss the beets in about half the chimichurri sauce. Let the beets sit for at least 10 minutes to marinate a little.

Arrange the beets on a large platter. Top with remaining chimichurri.

IMG_3491

la domestique - February 21, 2012 - 3:18 pm

It never occurred to me to pair chimichurri with beets, but I think it’s a fantastic idea! The salad is gorgeous, and I love the big flavors. I really get upset when things go wrong with my site, so I feel for ya’ and the flicker issues you’ve been experiencing. It’s good to put the situation in perspective, though. :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar - February 21, 2012 - 3:35 pm

This is so pretty! Love your presentation!

erin - February 21, 2012 - 3:43 pm

I can feel your pain. Even worse, my boyfriend is my web developer/hosting service and so it’s been a whole learning process for the both of us (which has resulted in a lot of trial, error, and hours spent fixing things.)

Gorgeous as always! Can’t wait for beets to try this!

leela - February 21, 2012 - 4:02 pm

that pink stained plate is like a water color jumping off of the screen! what a lovely image and great recipe.

Elizabeth @ Saffron Lane - February 21, 2012 - 4:10 pm

Doh! I hope you’re able to quickly salvage and repair all those links.

After a long battle over beets at the dinner table with my parents as a child, I have a strong fondness for beets but I’m sure this bright chimichurri would make them even more lovable. Lovely images, as usual.

Sarah - February 21, 2012 - 4:12 pm

Love this idea; such a nice take on raw beets. I feel like people can’t get away from slaws in that area. And I like chimichurri on…everything.

SG - February 21, 2012 - 5:24 pm

ooof… sorry to hear about your links – good luck to you on a speedy link recovery.

i just had roasted beets last night and darn I wish I had this chimichurri sauce. next time for sure!

Margarita - February 21, 2012 - 5:29 pm

This is gorgeous. I’d probably just keep staring at it instead of actually eating it. Good luck with the blog problems… Leave it for a bit then come back… Fix one link at a time?

renee - February 21, 2012 - 7:12 pm

Wouldn’t you know I have an intense craving for beets now! Love the presentation and combo of flavors. Your photos are so stunning. Now if I can just get over my irrational fear of the mandolin slicing off finger tips…

Stacy - February 21, 2012 - 8:20 pm

What a great combination of flavors! And these photos are simply lovely–much appreciated brightness at the end of a dark winter day in my corner of the world. Best of luck with the current inconvenience (and good attitude, by the way! perhaps the vibrant pink beets helped…??).

Joy - February 21, 2012 - 9:16 pm

these looks so so good!

Kasey - February 21, 2012 - 10:13 pm

So sorry to hear about the Flickr issues! I know exactly what you mean about blogging being like running a business…and I’m proud of you for not shedding any tears! It’s silly, but an old college dormmate used to say: stressing is like sitting in a rocking chair – it’s a lot of effort…and it doesn’t get you anywhere. Sometimes you just gotta bury your head in the ground and get to it. xo

Anna @ the shady pine - February 22, 2012 - 2:58 am

Oh these colours just pop! The dish looks so vibrant and I just want to eat it!

myfudo - February 22, 2012 - 3:59 am

What beautiful colors! Lovely presentation…No wonder the plate was wiped all clean. Thanks!

ileana - February 22, 2012 - 5:29 am

This looks lovely. I love beets and chimichurri. Never seen these two together. Have you tried roasted beets? They’re so delicious.

Sorry about your Flickr mishap. (I might’ve cried. I cry for everything. It’ll work out!)

Andrea - February 22, 2012 - 9:18 am

Sounds delish! I love those swirly coloured beets.

Jeanine - February 24, 2012 - 4:07 pm

ooh, I love beets and I love chimichurri… especially when it looks like this!

Juice - February 27, 2012 - 3:17 pm

How do you do this? How do you have an imagination that works out to this beautiful picture?

Kimber - February 28, 2012 - 7:54 am

Wow, this looks stunning! The color of the beats is so bold and inviting! I’m so glad I stumbled upon your blog – I love it!

click here - August 17, 2012 - 5:32 am

I’ve tried making different salads in the past and Russian salad is my most favorite so far. Beet Crudo with Chimichurri recipe looks good and I’ll give it a try on this weekend. I hope my kids will also like it. Is it really that yummy for their tummy?

[...] Beet Crudo With Chimmichurri Sauce [...]

What I’m Digging | Small Measure - June 27, 2012 - 7:32 pm

[...] this’s and that’s that drew me in this week: *The Jam Labelizer (via Marisa).*Beautiful beets! *The stories of Gilt Taste are incredibly well crafted. *Chocolate Earl Grey Cake? I’m in. [...]