The internet is a big, unruly beast, isn’t it? I’ll be the first to admit that I spend too much time here, getting lost in bizarre nooks and crannies and wondering where the time goes. But it’s not all a waste of time. I love the proliferation of lists on a whole bunch of my favorite blogs. (Especially 101 Cookbooks’ Favorites and Shutterbean’s I Love Lists, Friday.) There’s something in the act of a list that focuses you a little. So I’m starting my own Friday list. Now, I’d like to think that I’m trawling the internet with a little bit more purpose than before – paying closer attention to the things that inspire me. Hip hip and Happy Friday!
2. A blog (and book) dedicated to the to-do list.
3. My pal Leela’s list of 10 foods that will keep you happy during winter. So relevant!
4. A hidden Victorian kitchen discovered in the basement of an estate! (Hello Downton Abbey!)
5. Last night I had the good luck to see an advance screening of Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Oh my word. It’s gorgeous and thoughtful and inspiring – and relevant to anyone pursuing a passion or dedicated to a craft. Jiro is such a badass! Go see it as soon as it comes out.
6. This TED Talk on work and happiness. It’s crazy good.
7. “Welcome to the rest of California,” stories about rural Californians.
8. Um, coconut butter!
9. And homemade rice crackers!
10. Creative ways to make perishable food last longer.
11. And last but not least (is a little horn-tooting okay on a list?), go check out my photography for the winter issue of Edible San Francisco! It was so much fun to shoot – not only because I got to do something I love, which is explore single subjects deeply, but also because the issue is about local and sustainable seafood. Three cheers!
What are your favorite lists, gang?
The Friday List is a new bi-weekly feature. Every other Friday will feature the latest Color Studies.