HONEY, GOAT CHEESE + PISTACHIO TRUFFLES

Untitled

This weekend, some friends – Lisa Mishima, Randall Stowell and Yvonne Mouser, collectively Thought For Food – put together a beautiful, complex, interactive art installation, one involving hexagonal shortbread cookies, cream cheese, broccoli blossoms, and a spinning contraption that drizzled honey on the cookies. They are designers and makers and bring to their work a strong dedication to craft, design and food. What they do is called eating experience design.

IMG_7535

IMG_7590

IMG_7586

IMG_7639

IMG_7650

I left feeling inspired. Which brought me back to Lisa’s website, where I was reminded of these genius truffles that she had shared in February. Now that I’ve made them, I can say with certainty that they are indeed genius. Just three ingredients come together to create something much greater than the sum of its parts. It’s such a winning, clever, well-executed treat. You could serve it before a meal or after. Use a strong goat cheese and the best honey you can find. Gather some friends to help. And do your best to not eat all of them in one sitting. They are as addictively good as they sound.

Untitled

HONEY, GOAT CHEESE + PISTACHIO TRUFFLES
inspired by Lisa Mishima
Yield: 16 truffles

8 ounces strong goat cheese, chilled
favorite local honey, chilled
1/4 cup pistachios, ground

Make sure your honey and cheese are cold to begin.

Grind the pistachios in a spice mill or food processor to your liking – a coarse grind will add more texture but a fine grind will work.

Remove the goat cheese from the fridge. Have a baking sheet on hand.

Using a one tablespoon measure, scoop out a scant tablespoon of goat cheese. Form into a ball between your palms. Flatten ball into a round disk using your fingers against the palm of your hand. Place flat disk on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining goat cheese.

Remove the honey from the fridge. Measure the honey in 1/4 teaspoon increments and place a small ball in the center of each goat cheese disk.

Return the goat cheese/honey disks to the fridge. Chill for at least one half hour.

Remove from fridge and carefully roll into balls, doing your best to keep the honey in the center of the ball. It will be a little messy! And working with chilled, firm honey will make this so much easier.

Once rolled into balls, chill for another half hour.

Remove from fridge again and roll in ground pistachios. You will probably want to chill them one more time before serving – they turn into soft, gooey messes and are ideally served chilled.

Thanks, Lisa, for the inspiration!

Untitled

Untitled

ileana - April 17, 2012 - 11:09 am

This is brilliant! Can’t wait to try this.

Elizabeth @ Saffron Lane - April 17, 2012 - 11:13 am

As someone who adores fresh ricotta cheese, raw local honey + crushed pistachios for a quick dessert, I can’t imagine these wouldn’t also top my list. I love the last photo — very creative indeed! Eating experience design is a brilliantly masterful way to enjoy both art + food. Thanks for sharing!

sreebindu - April 17, 2012 - 11:17 am

yumm..

Brian @ A Thought For Food - April 17, 2012 - 11:19 am

What can I say, I love everything about these guys (especially their name ;-)). I can see why these truffles were such an inspiration!

Nicole @Eat This Poem - April 17, 2012 - 11:43 am

Honey and goat cheese? I’m in! These look divine, Kimberley.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar - April 17, 2012 - 11:47 am

Oh my goodness! What a lovely idea! :)

NicoleD - April 17, 2012 - 1:18 pm

I love how that last picture looks like fried eggs :) That art installation is phenomenal. Super cool.

Elizabeth Ann - April 17, 2012 - 1:42 pm

Wow! I am inspired. Stunning photos.

SG - April 17, 2012 - 2:02 pm

I am inspired too! I can’t wait to try these!

Kasey - April 17, 2012 - 2:31 pm

What a cool and creative idea, Kimberley! I’m going to have to try this, seeing as how I’ve got an abundance of goat cheese in my fridge…

stephanie - April 17, 2012 - 7:03 pm

wow! gorgeous photos! can’t wait to try the recipe–goat cheese, honey, and pistachios sounds like a winning combination.

Amanda - April 18, 2012 - 10:05 am

Wow!! That is so cool. I love the creativity and inspiration behind that design… Not to mention, the truffle recipe you posted sounds heavenly. Can’t wait to make it for an upcoming dinner party!

Stacy - April 18, 2012 - 4:13 pm

I love that you took your inspiration from an art installation! And these look positively delectable. I shall keep this in mind for the next dinner party I encounter.

maggie - April 19, 2012 - 4:51 pm

i can’t tell from your recipe or hers – are the pistachios meant to be salted, or unsalted?

Kimberley - April 19, 2012 - 10:47 pm

Hi Maggie – Good question. I used raw unsalted pistachios, though I think that roasted and/or salted would work just fine! Have fun with it.

Kristie V. - April 23, 2012 - 8:09 am

These “truffles” look sublime! I’m definitely thinking dessert…maybe with a little fruit on the side?

sarah @ two tarts - July 15, 2012 - 3:27 pm

This is genius! So glad I found your website – it is beautiful. You have a new fan! :)
-sarah @ two tarts

[...] ?????? ?????????? ??? ???. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:?????????????? ??????, ???? [...]

[...] minute I saw these truffles on the lovely ‘The Year In Food’ blog, I immediately knew I wanted to make them. They appeal to every fiber of my foodie [...]

[...] minute I saw these truffles on the lovely ‘The Year In Food’ blog, I immediately knew I wanted to make them. They appeal to every fiber of my foodie [...]