THE FRIDAY LIST: A LITTLE COLOR, A LITTLE INSPIRATION

GREEEEEN!

I began The Color Studies and The Friday List during a slow period, work-wise. I began them to keep myself inspired and to share some of that with you. But the lull in work ended and I have been busier than ever. I chide myself for using busy-ness as an excuse, because I have had this sharply on-point article, The Busy Trap, on my mind for weeks. He calls all of us out on our excuses and our desire to fill up our lives with commitments and obligations, sometimes as a hedge against what goes on if we have unstructured time – a hedge against our fears, or loneliness, or anxiety, or doubt. I love that guy for reminding me to take myself less seriously. And to stop using being busy as an excuse. (Still guilty of that, clearly!)

I was so flattered when Aran graciously referred to my Friday List as inspiration for her own. It reminded me how much that has been neglected lately. So here’s a little of what’s inspiring me right now.

Grapes

Summer greens are so soothing to look at. Can’t get enough.

Plums
Love the speckle on these plums.

1. Sarah of The Yellow House created a beautiful meditation on the reality, value and grace of weeknight cooking, and how much of a struggle it can be in our busy lives. It is a GEM of a thing to share with the internet at large. Go spend some quality time with it. I hope it inspires you as it has me.

2. Nicole of Eat This Poem launched a really awesome campaign to bring awareness to the grim reality of American slavery in tomato farming. All the more reason to buy your tomatoes from your local farmers.

3. This awesome interview with Cheryl Strayed, the woman behind Dear Sugar and author of Wild.

4. This conversation about yoga with Seane Corn. She is such a badass.

Nicole @Eat This Poem - July 27, 2012 - 11:11 am

You are so kind to mention the Food Bloggers for Slave-Free Tomatoes campaign! Enjoy your weekend. :)

Kathryn - July 27, 2012 - 12:01 pm

Beautiful images, so vibrant but so peaceful at the same time.

Elizabeth Ann - July 27, 2012 - 12:50 pm

Kimberley,

Stunning photos as always, you inspire! Also very grateful for the links to other things. Interesting. Just today I was thinking about how much I learn from the bloggers that I follow….

Sarah - July 27, 2012 - 4:42 pm

Those speckle-y plums! So stunning, Kimberley.
And thanks for the kind shout-out….you inspire me, too. xx—S

sara - July 27, 2012 - 4:47 pm

yes! I love this series. and those plums? frame that. immediately. thanks for the links too!

la domestique - July 27, 2012 - 4:52 pm

I’m so glad you’re back this Friday with a list! Those plums ARE so pretty!

Becky - July 27, 2012 - 5:50 pm

The hues in those plums. Divine!

charlotte au chocolat - July 28, 2012 - 5:37 am

Love all three of these pictures! Love your friday lists + color studies, but am happy to hear you’re busy with work ;) xo

Rosey - July 28, 2012 - 9:10 am

Beautiful images.

Kristen - July 28, 2012 - 11:15 am

Thank you so much for sharing that article. I often feel we Americans tire ourselves out by making ourselves too busy. It’s good to be busy but its great to enjoy the day as well.

Renee - July 28, 2012 - 7:02 pm

Those plums are breathtaking!

Kathryne - July 29, 2012 - 7:10 pm

Those plums! Gorgeous!

Louisa - July 31, 2012 - 12:41 am

Beautiful photos and thank you for busy trap article link! Agreed, very on point.

Valeria - July 31, 2012 - 12:58 am

I read The Busy Trap a few weeks ago and it really made me think, it still does. Same for Sarah’s. I feel connected with these reflections on quality time, slowness, and valuable moments where pleasure, or simple insightful thinking, takes the place of “making”, doing, accomplishing. I try to put these principles into practice in my daily life and feel a bit alone in this fight, surrounded by people that give their whole selves for a job that isn’t theirs, but it is about “working for the man”, or for getting higher, sacrificing a big part of their being. I will always choose to spend and extra half hour with my husband than at work. I will always save one our for a reflective walk. Probably, I will always be as poor as I am now, and not good at many things, unable to focus and teach myself, but I will always feel on the right path, somehow.

NicoleD - August 1, 2012 - 12:54 pm

I enjoy your thoughtful links, too. The Busy Trap was a great read and I love reading Sugar’s writing. Thanks for sharing!