EATING WELL ON THE ROAD, HOLIDAY EDITION: CRANBERRY + CRYSTALLIZED GINGER OATMEAL PACKS

Cranberry Ginger Oatmeal Raw Ingredients

Thinking about eating well on the road was so easy during the summer. So many towns have a farmers’ market worth visiting, and putting together a huge impromptu salad is a breeze when the produce is abundant. Plus, it’s inherently tied to summer travel adventures, which are a very different kind of travel than the kind of travel we do at the holidays. It’s the kind of travel that embraces all that is carefree about the season. Not so much this time of year.

Cranberry Ginger Oatmeal ready for travel

But I really think that it’s now that we need to eat well on the road (and at home). Now, with all the inherent stresses of holidays and ridiculously harried airports. Now, with the glut of holiday food coming our way, delicious though it may be. And now, with the onslaught of colds and flus, it just feels good to take care of ourselves. To be kind.

Cranberry Ginger Oatmeal

I’ve been eating oatmeal every morning. It’s just the best when it’s cold out, especially with this winning formula. I have a generous hand with the spices, and I make sure to add some nuts for crunch and protein, and some kind of fruit, dried or fresh, and a heaping tablespoon of crystallized ginger to elevate it from bland porridge to special bowl of coziness. This recipe is my everyday standard, and I love how easily and how well it translates for travel. Throw it in a ziploc bag and take it with you next week if you’re headed somewhere for Thanksgiving. Or have a bowl before you head off to work. It happens to taste just as good at home.

CRANBERRY GINGER OATMEAL

Fore each serving:

1/2 cup rolled oats
2 heaping tablespoons dried cranberries
2 tablespoons sliced almonds (any nut will work, really)
1 tablespoon chopped crystallized ginger
1 teaspoon turbinado or brown sugar
1 generous pinch cinnamon
1 generous pinch cardamom
1 generous pinch sea salt

Combine the above in a sealable bag for travel. Follow instructions below when ready to serve.

When ready to use, combine all ingredients in a bowl (if microwaving) or a saucepan (if heating on the stove.) Add one cup of water. Heat until just creamy. Add milk, cream or Greek yogurt if desired. Serve immediately.

charlotte au chocolat - November 15, 2012 - 7:50 am

I love this, Kimberley! So perfect for cold weather traveling. xo

Stacy - November 15, 2012 - 8:21 am

Though I’ve been seeking variation from my typical bowl of oats in the last week or so, I do think you’re correct: oatmeal is coziness itself, and perfect comfort on a cold morning. And crystallized ginger atop is bliss. I’ll have to try your tried-and-true recipe! (Also: love the top photo!!)

Ashley - November 15, 2012 - 8:28 am

I want that bowl and the oatmeal that is inside it! I love the idea of packing oats to go.

Riley - November 15, 2012 - 8:36 am

This is a great idea! I need to make this soon!

Norma Stafford - November 15, 2012 - 8:40 am

We do this when we go backpacking! But I never thought of crystallized ginger or cardamon…..will try that this morning when Pete returns from cycling with your Dad!!

Kimberley - November 15, 2012 - 8:59 am

@Norma: I think backpackers have the market cornered on all the best ways to travel with nonperishable food. :)

kickpleat - November 15, 2012 - 9:20 am

So good! I always make a crap-ton of granola when I travel, but I usually road trip in the summers. This looks so perfect and comforting for colder weather. Love the flavours too.

Nicole @ Eat This Poem - November 15, 2012 - 9:57 am

I mix up a big batch of oatmeal on Sunday and bring it with me to eat when I get to work. So much better than the packaged kind!

Daniel - November 15, 2012 - 10:05 am

Instead of dried cranberries, what else can I use?

Kimberley - November 15, 2012 - 10:08 am

@Daniel: It’s all about experimenting in the kitchen. Most fruit would work! I use this same combo with whatever fruit’s in season: apples, strawberries, peaches. Try any dried fruit: apricots, mango, etc.

erin @ yummy supper - November 15, 2012 - 11:18 am

Kimberley, such a good idea! I just took a quick trip to NY and I’m always thinking about what to bring along. Travel can be especially tricky when you’re GF, right?
Usually I take packs of Miso soup on the plane for a little emergency snack. Your gingery oatmeal looks like just the kind of comfort food I crave while traveling.
Happy Thanksgiving to you!
-E

Vanessa Larson - November 15, 2012 - 11:33 am

What a great idea!! I find it so hard to eat well on the road but I never thought of this. Thanks for sharing :).

Brian @ A Thought For Food - November 15, 2012 - 11:51 am

How wonderful this looks. I so rarely make oatmeal… but this makes me want to spruce mine up a bit.

Denise | Chez Danisse - November 15, 2012 - 11:53 am

This is a great idea. Having healthy options while traveling makes the journey so much more enjoyable. I’ve never tried crystallized ginger in oatmeal, but I will be doing so soon.

erin - November 15, 2012 - 12:49 pm

Without even realizing I turned to oatmeal the second it got cold. I love the combination of cranberry and ginger- it’s just perfect!

NicoleD - November 15, 2012 - 1:36 pm

Prettiest oatmeal ever!

jamie smith - November 15, 2012 - 2:07 pm

I have totally fallen back in love with oatmeal again. I also add butter and maple syrup. I love the travel friendly version!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com - November 15, 2012 - 6:05 pm

Great idea, Kimbery!! I love that we eat oatmeal almost 98% of the time at home.

Jennifer at Meals, Squared - November 15, 2012 - 6:45 pm

Brilliant! And bookmarked.

Kathryn - November 16, 2012 - 1:59 am

Packing oatmeal to go is such a great idea especially as all you need is some water and you’re good to go. The flavours in this are my absolute favourites as well.

Katherine Sacks - November 16, 2012 - 6:50 am

This is a great idea for travelling. I just did an overseas flight, and rather then pack some delicious, healthy snacks, I relied on the airport connivance. Not smart. I would have loved to dig into this oatmeal instead. Beautiful as always!

Elena - November 16, 2012 - 8:35 am

Just yummy! Great for the kiddos, too!

Kathryne - November 17, 2012 - 6:50 pm

This sounds like a marvelous breakfast. I’d be happy eating it on the road or at home.

Crystal Clark - November 18, 2012 - 8:46 am

I just found your blog; I’m going to add you to my RSS feed because I have liked what I’ve read so far. You have some really good ideas; from this granola to the smores bar. :) I’m excited to see more.

sara - November 18, 2012 - 4:04 pm

oh heeelllooo gorgeous photos! I love it! We haven’t gone on a big trip in awhile, but I used to always take a collection of bars and instant oatmeal. Mind you,this was before I cook and care like I do now ;) I think this is a genius idea and I love that you share these “on the road” tips!

Fork and Whisk - November 20, 2012 - 9:00 am

That sounds delicious. Perfect for the cold weather, sounds great with the ginger in there.

Needful Things - December 30, 2012 - 5:59 am

This is such a good idea. I would love to make a peach-ginger combination.. or even ginger-fig … oh, the possibilities. Thank you for the inspiration!

E - March 23, 2013 - 6:23 am

The coffee shop next to my work makes these in little to go containers with dried bananas and walnuts. Then they just stir in hot water and tell you to wait five minutes while it thickens. Now I can make them with a little less sugar and save my three dollars! Also I plan on throwing them in mason jars so I have my bowl ready when I get to work! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Jax - December 23, 2013 - 7:00 am

Thank you for this easy breakfast idea!!! I am taking this on for work breakfast this holiday week. I love being able to pre-make meals so I can grab & go in the mornings.