GRILLED BEET SALAD

Grilled Beet salad

Baby beets

Howdy, friends. I picked up a new phrase from my friend Erin last week: in the molasses. That’s kinda how I feel right now. It’s intense over here in crazy-making bookland. The immensity of the work before me on this cookbook and the time left to get ‘er done leave me feeling dizzy and panicked. It’s hard to prioritize because everything feels urgent. Everyone tells you that this is hard, but there’s no way to understand what shape that hard will take, what it will feel like sitting heavily on your shoulders, until you’re deep in it. Thank goodness for small miracles that come together with ease in the form of a salad. Find the full recipe for the salad over on Etsy.

Grilled Beet Salad

And thank goodness for wisdom like this: Start with a big, fat lump in your throat, start with a profound sense of wrong, a deep homesickness, or or a crazy lovesickness, and run with it.

Prep

Aimee St.Germain (Cooking the Strip) - May 17, 2013 - 11:15 am

Beets are one of my all-time favorites and I love the combination with arugula, chevre, and nuts. The grill marks on the beets are just beautiful!

Elizabeth - May 17, 2013 - 11:22 am

I can’t fully understand, but I’ve had that fat lump in the throat many times. Still, I have no doubt you’ll turn out a work of incredible beauty that will make the frenzy of it all so, so worth it. I’m (always) rooting you on from the sidelines…

Dan From Platter Talk - May 17, 2013 - 12:34 pm

We’ve all been in the molasses at one time or another. Just remember, don’t sweat the small stuff and keep these wonderful food ideas coming. This salad looks terrific!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar - May 17, 2013 - 12:48 pm

Loooove the look of this!! Yum!

Kathryne - May 17, 2013 - 3:40 pm

You can do it, Kimberley! Deep breaths, you got this. Can’t wait to see the product of your hard work.

sara forte - May 17, 2013 - 6:55 pm

love that plate! what a gorgeous setting. I expect nothing less from you at this point, but it’s worth noting :) Haven’t grilled beets yet, sounds wonderful.

Under the almond tree - May 18, 2013 - 3:38 am

This looks so delicious and fresh,love all ingredients!
Thank’s for the inspiration/ Anna

charlotte au chocolat - May 18, 2013 - 2:51 pm

Wishing you lots of small miracles as you ease your way out of the molasses. Can’t wait to see what I’m sure will be a gorgeous cookbook! (Oh, and that’s one beautiful quote.)

thecitygourmand - May 18, 2013 - 6:41 pm

A showcase of beautiful produce!

ileana - May 19, 2013 - 6:42 pm

Grilled beets!! Gorgeous.

sarah - May 20, 2013 - 8:03 pm

What a beautiful salad! And, that Robert Frost quote has been with me all week since I saw it on Brain Pickings. It’s so perfect.

Chitra - May 20, 2013 - 10:13 pm

Wow this salad looks so delicious and so excited to see the book!

Irina @ wandercrush - May 22, 2013 - 5:48 pm

Stunning. Beets make any dish look beautiful, and these are particularly lovely. Cookbook-prep sounds terrifying, but I’m sure it’ll be worth every drop of sweat, blood, and tears! We’re all looking forward to it, and it’s bound (hah!) to be wonderful.

Trisha @ Vignette - May 22, 2013 - 9:08 pm

I love the simplicity of this salad! The halved beets are so pretty when they’re grilled!

Lindsey - May 23, 2013 - 3:43 am

this makes me want to buy a grill and put it out on my fire escape (despite what my landlord says). i love the taste of grilled veggies, you just dont get the same taste if they’re grilled on a frying pan or roasted in the oven.

kulsum@journeykitchen.com - May 31, 2013 - 1:32 pm

Once you go beet, there is no turning back :) Love this.

Ole @cookingbrains - June 4, 2013 - 4:17 pm

This looks delish. I love the idea of charring a bit of beetroot, just found a new bbq on the street today (not literally, but almost) and am looking for a few things to try out.
I’ll keep all my available fingers and toes crossed for the stamina, spirit and energy to pull through with this project.

Vanessa - June 9, 2013 - 9:57 am

Beautiful!

Kami - June 10, 2013 - 1:25 pm

I’m in love with this picture! I recently started my own site, nodietsallowed.com, and trying to learn from amazing bloggers like yourself! Thank you for providing such beautiful photography and recipes.

erin - June 10, 2013 - 9:06 pm

This looks amazing. Your photography is incredible. (and your wisdom, profound. thank goodness for good friends, right?)