A SALAD OF WHITE PEACHES AND ASPARAGUS

IMG_6339-2

At the beginning of this year, I made a list of things that I wanted to prioritize in 2013. I didn’t regard it as a set of resolutions, a set of must-dos; I just wanted these things to guide my year, to set a tone.

Among those was a pretty strong desire to have more collaborative relationships in my work and creative life. Navigating this new freelance world over the last two and a half years, and working mostly alone and mostly from home, has been terribly isolating sometimes. I’m a person who deeply values alone time, but I have discovered the limits of my desire to be alone. It was making me kinda crazy. We are social creatures, and we need our people in life. That desire was crystal clear at the start of this year.

IMG_6317

When I reached out to Stacy to see if she would like to help me in working on my cookbook, I was kind of in a desperate place: feeling overwhelmed, needing help. I didn’t approach it as a collaboration. But that’s exactly what it’s become. She comes to the table with her own expertise and wisdom, and is organized in a way that I may never be, and we get along marvelously. We share a similar philosophy around food, and her baking skills and attention to detail enrich the work that I make. It has been the most rewarding relationship in my book-making process. And I love that it’s grown into one of the things that I wanted most this year: a collaboration.

IMG_5273

A couple weeks ago, I visited Blossom Bluff Orchards in the central valley. Bryce kindly showed me around the acreage, taught me a little bit about the value of weeds in an organic orchard, and I left with a bag of some of the most delicious stone fruit I have ever set my teeth into. Among them, a life-changing white peach. Undoubtedly these are the best white peaches I have ever tasted. (I was not the biggest fan of white peaches prior to tasting these.)

Working last week, we arrived at that point in the day when our appetites could no longer be neglected. Stacy and I pulled together a salad with what was on hand. She sautéed asparagus with lemon juice and garlic, a touch that I would not have considered, but one that deepened the flavors of the salad. She toasted almonds; I have gotten lazy about that and generally just throw them in raw. I love all the nuances in how we prepare food just a little bit differently, despite having so many affinities for the same things. And we tossed in those peaches from Blossom Bluff. And so a collaborative salad is born.

IMG_6298

I am totally with Sarah of The Yellow House in the value of growing greens for easy salads nearly every day of the week. It’s among the most simple and rewarding of things to grow. Maybe six weeks ago I planted some seedlings: arugula, red and green lettuces, kales. They are bursting now, and make having a bed of greens to begin a meal almost mandatory. I love that. And I love the simple reward of gardening. So go make a salad, and enjoy this tiny window of time when we can celebrate both the best of spring’s late produce and summer’s earliest glory.

IMG_6344

And PS: I am deep, deep, deep in book-land now. Eating, breathing, sleeping book – literally. It’s hard to come up for air. There might not be too much here over the next several weeks. But I’ll be back when it’s all done. xoxo

A SALAD OF WHITE PEACHES AND ASPARAGUS

Yield: about 4 servings

1 small bunch asparagus, sliced on the bias
1 teaspoon oil
Zest of one lemon, reserve 1/2 lemon for juice
1 clove garlic, minced
Pinch red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon minced shallot
3 tablespoons olive oil
5-6 cups mixed greens, such as lettuces, young kale, arugula
2 white peaches, thinly sliced lengthwise
2-3 ounces Feta, crumbled.
1/4 cup chopped, toasted almonds
Sea salt and pepper to taste
Flowering parsley for garnish, optional

In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the asparagus in one teaspoon oil, stirring occasionally, for about four minutes, until bright green. Add garlic, lemon zest, and red pepper flakes and cook for one minute more. Turn off heat and finish with a squeeze of juice from half the lemon, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

Make the dressing by whisking together the Balsamic vinegar with the shallot. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil and whisk vigorously until emulsified. Add salt and pepper to taste.

In a large salad bowl, toss the lettuces with the dressing. Top with the asparagus, Feta, chopped almonds and finish with slices of white peach. Garnish with flowering parsley if desired. Best served immediately.

Hannah - June 12, 2013 - 2:38 pm

Wow, I would never have thought of pairing peaches with asparagus. That makes me wonder about a grilled version of this beautiful salad… I hear you about the isolation of working from home. At first it’s dreamy, then it’s crazy-making. Good for you for finding a balance. And good luck on the final push for the cookbook! Ok, now I’ll go back to work… laser-like focus…

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar - June 12, 2013 - 3:03 pm

This salad is gorgeous! Love this idea!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl - June 12, 2013 - 3:36 pm

Pretty pictures and pretty salad! Never would have thought to incorporate peaches this way, but I love peaches so I’m all for it. :)

Good luck! ~Sending you good vibes~

Dan from Platter Talk - June 12, 2013 - 5:47 pm

Interesting concept of sorts, but completely representative of what you described as a collaborative salad – unique and fitting for the moment. The idea itself is as unusual as the photos and prose are beautiful. Best of luck with the book.

Gemma @andgeesaid - June 12, 2013 - 7:21 pm

The greens look so vibrant! Gardening is the best, such a beautiful salad!
xx gee @ http://andgeesaid.blogspot.com.au/

Sam @ The Second Lunch - June 12, 2013 - 7:40 pm

Saw this earlier and opted for a peach in my dinner salad. It was the right choice. Went for salted tomato, avocado, olive oil and peach… Had my asparagus yesterday in the cast iron with lemon, but I’ll be making it this way next time around :)

Samantha - June 13, 2013 - 5:51 am

What a beautiful salad. I wouldn’t have thought to use peaches in a salad.. You’ve inspired me to 1. grow greens and to 2. eat them with peaches.

Salinya - June 13, 2013 - 6:15 am

The salad looks absolutely delicious. You’ve made me want to try peaches in my salad. I enjoyed reading your story too. You’re right; freelance work is isolating. It’s nice you found someone who shares your passion.

Sarah - June 13, 2013 - 6:59 am

I can’t imagine what it’s like to be deep in book land…I know it must be intimidating when you’re out in the weeds of it, but if there’s anyone who will enjoy the process and glean all the good stuff out of the hectic-ness, it’s you.

Thanks for the kind shout-out, glad (but unsurprised, of course!) that we’re on the same page in terms of greens-growing.

xS

sara - June 13, 2013 - 4:20 pm

love that you two have each other! Gorgeous salad. Now I am dying for one of those peaches! Good luck, friend!

Irina @ wandercrush - June 13, 2013 - 5:22 pm

Oh those shades of green in the salad leaves are so beautiful. When you say “pulled together a salad with what was on hand,” you’d never expect something that seemed this perfectly curated ;) Collaborative cooking is something I need to do more of!

ileana - June 13, 2013 - 8:03 pm

Lovely as always. I bet the feta is wonderful here.

Anyway, glad you got the collaboration you wanted! I spent a year or so freelancing from home and it was definitely lonely. I’m in a more traditional office job now, and I was amazed by how much happier I was when I knew there were people to see and catch up with every day. It’s something to look forward to, for sure. I didn’t realize how much I craved and needed in-person human interaction. It really is vital. Happy for you and that you’re in a book-writing groove!

Jodi - June 13, 2013 - 9:31 pm

This looks like heaven in a bowl! Yum!

Jodi - June 13, 2013 - 9:32 pm

This looks like heaven in a bowl! Yum!!

Lizzy (Good Things) - June 14, 2013 - 7:01 am

I’m a huge fan of peaches in a salad… lovely recipe and post!

Sequoia@casapepeoakland.com - June 15, 2013 - 12:32 am

beautiful photo, beautiful salad. Love the celery blossoms!

Sequoia@casapepeoakland.com - June 15, 2013 - 12:34 am

beautiful photos, beautiful salad. Love the celery blossoms!

Peggy - June 15, 2013 - 1:55 am

I really enjoyed this post. And as always, your photos are eye candy and the icing on the cake, dressing on the salad, and all of those other great things. Keep up the excellent job here, please!

Peter - June 15, 2013 - 2:36 pm

Peaches and asparagus? I think you might be geniuses. I’m definitely trying that.

charlotte au chocolat - June 16, 2013 - 2:39 am

So glad you’ve found the collaboration you’ve been yearning for. Good luck in book-land! Rooting for you, and can’t wait to see the results! xo

Valerie - June 17, 2013 - 5:28 pm

Can I save your recipes on Ziplist?

jessa - June 17, 2013 - 5:57 pm

this looks DELICIOUS, gotta give it a try!

Miachel (Spiced Curiosity) - July 2, 2013 - 7:49 am

This looks lovely. My first time on your site, and I’m warmed by the solid recipes and sweet pics.

G’luck with the cookbook-creating! You can do it.

Puja @ Indiaphile.info - July 9, 2013 - 11:05 am

I absolutely love peaches this time of the year. Looks like such a great salad! :)

Daniel - July 10, 2013 - 10:24 pm

I’m always looking for new ways to try and re-invent the salad. This recipe has given me some great ideas. Thanks