CAMPFIRE COOKING: FRITTATA

Campfire Frittata for Alite Designs Field Notes

In June, I collaborated with Alite Designs — an awesome outdoorsy design company whose HQ happens to be one block from my house — to make some sweet dishes that are perfect for camping.

Campfire Frittata for Alite Design

Making a frittata on the campfire was an experiment. I did a lot of research prior to tackling this, but found little about actual frittatas and methods where an open fire is concerned. So I went to one of my favorite places, Mt. Tam, and set up shop at the Pantoll Campground on a quiet Monday afternoon to campfire cook my way through two recipes. It was just me and the rangers and a few curious hikers, who were the happy recipients of my experiments. Days like those are definitely dream job days.

Campfire Frittata for Alite Design

Anyway, the campfire frittata recipe is now up on Alite’s website. Go check it out! And enjoy this last grand weekend of summer, hopefully near a campfire.

Campfire Frittata for Alite Design

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar - August 30, 2013 - 8:53 am

I am definitely into this! Such a fabulous idea!

Laura - August 30, 2013 - 9:11 am

Love Alite! My man and I have the mantis chairs and they are a serious game changer when you’re out in it. Campfire cooking owns my heart too. So, so lovely.

Dan from Platter Talk - August 30, 2013 - 9:21 am

I just made my first fritatta this a.m., in our cottage oven. Next time will be over our fire pit. I love this idea and your post!

Kate Koeppel - August 30, 2013 - 10:47 am

Yay! Glad to see you’re back and posting! This looks lovely!

tea_austen - August 30, 2013 - 12:17 pm

I am giggling to think of you up at Pantoll, recipe testing in the middle of the day. I think you need a backyard fire pit! (um, don’t we all?). But the fritatta looks delish.

I thought of you as I was writing my post for today. Do you ever find swimming holes on those grand roadtrips of yours? I suspect that you must.

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl - August 30, 2013 - 1:00 pm

I don’t go camping, but I’d love to make this at my house!

Annaliese - August 31, 2013 - 8:05 am

these are such beautiful and bright photos, and the frittata sounds amazing! thanks for sharing.

Irina @ wandercrush - September 7, 2013 - 10:27 pm

Beautiful recipe and story. This post reminds me of the time I was hiking the App Trail and met an attractive guy chillin’ in a hammock at one of the rest points. His trail name was Frittata, of course!